Make the most of the summer weather and enjoy a good old-fashioned summer picnic. Here are few recipes for easy picnic fare as well as some different ideas for the classic campfire favorite: the s’more.
- 5 cups tortilla chips
- 1 19-ounce can of black beans, drained
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chilies (drained)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix (any brand)
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, finely shredded
- Heat barbeque
- Spray 12×18 inch foil pan with non-stick cooking spray
- Spread tortilla chips in pan
- In medium bowl, mix beans, tomatoes, chilies, and taco seasoning mix
- Spoon bean mixture over tortilla chips
- Sprinkle with cheese
- Cover pan with foil
- Place foil pan on grill over medium heat
- Cover grill
- Cook 8 minutes or until cheese is melted.
(Recipe source: momsandmunchkins.ca)
Mexican Street Corn Over the Campfire (serves 6)
- 6 ears of corn
- 3/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 fresh limes, juiced
- Chili powder to taste
- Husk the corn, but if you don’t have those handy little corn ends with you while you’re camping, leave the ends on the corn so you have something to grab them by. Grill the corn over the campfire until it starts to get slightly charred, turning every few minutes to avoid burning it.
- While the corn is cooking, mix the mayonnaise, sour cream and cilantro. Take the corn off the fire and generously slather it in the mayonnaise mixture. Let the ears cool for a few minutes, then sprinkle with lime juice, generously sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, and finish off with a bit of chili powder.
(Recipe source: savingmoneycamping.com)
Caramel Apple S’mores
- 8 marshmallows
- 2 Granny Smith apples, thinly sliced and cored
- 4 squares chocolate
- Caramel topping, for drizzle
Roast marshmallows until golden. Make the s’mores by topping one apple slice with a chocolate square and two toasted marshmallows. Drizzle with caramel and top with a second apple slice. Repeat as needed to make additional s’mores.
(Recipe source: delish.com)
- Chocolate squares
- Waffle Cones
- Aluminum Foil
Place chocolate and marshmallows in the waffle cone. Wrap the cone with aluminum foil. Heat in campfire for 3-5 minutes. Remove foil cone from fire with tongs or stick and allow to cool. Slowly unwrap. Enjoy.
(Recipe source: reynoldskitchens.com)