Campers are always trying to come with new ways to make their camping experience more efficient, clever, and most importantly, more fun. Even if you’ve never pitched a tent or are a seasoned camper, here are some ideas for hacking your next camping trip into the best one yet!
- Can’t find any dry kindling to start a campfire? Dryer sheets are flammable and work well as fire starters.
- Clamp one side of a plastic straw and seal it shut by melting it with a lighter. Fill up the straw with the spices of your choice and with a skinny permanent marker, write on the straw what kind of spice it is. You’ll have meals so flavorful, your fellow campers will be impressed. If you happen to have ketchup, salt or pepper packets lying around, bring those too!
- Stuck in the dark? Grab your headlamp and wrap it around a clear, empty water jug or water bottle to use as a lantern.
- Hard boil a bunch of eggs for easy protein intake without the mess or effort! These hard boiled eggs can also double as ice in a cooler.
- Speaking of eggs… if you like to have scrambled eggs while you’re camping, pre-scramble them and store them in a plastic water bottle to pour right out into your skillet when you’re ready for breakfast!
- Forgot your camping pillow but have wine to spare? Once you finish your box of wine, snag the bag out of the box, rinse it out, and blow it back up to create a camping pillow.
- Over the campfire that you cleverly lit with your dryer sheets, boil some water, pour it into a reusable water bottle, and put it at the foot of your sleeping bag to keep your toes warm while you sleep.
- Burn sage in your fire to ward off mosquitos and other pesky bugs. Also, sage helps ward off ghosts…
- Freeze bottles of water and add to your cooler to double as ice and extra water!
Share your best camping tricks with fellow Thousand Trails members at one of our many Theme Weekend events! Download your copy of the Theme Weekends guide here.