Wondering if you need to find a different way to use that leftover Easter ham? Throw it in a puff pastry tart! The ingredients in this recipe – leeks, ham, brie cheese – go together perfectly and this is a great way to utilize seasonal vegetables (leeks) and those Easter leftovers before they go bad.
1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed at room temperature
2 tablespoons butter
4 leeks, thinly sliced and thoroughly cleaned
¼ cup water
1 wheel of brie cheese with white rind cut away, cut into ½ inch pieces
⅔ cup heavy cream
4 large eggs
Shredded or crumbled parmesan cheese
Pie weight or beans
Let puff pastry thaw for about 30 minutes at room temperature.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Rinse leeks thoroughly! Grit in this tart would be quite unpleasant.
- Presuming your ham is already cooked. If not, this is a good time to cook the bacon or fry prosciutto for your filling. Remove the rind from the brie wheel.
- Preheat your oven to 400℉.
- Unfold your thawed pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface. Roll it out until the sheet is about a 13-inch square and cut the corners to make a circle. Press the puff pastry sheet into a 10-inch tart pan.
- Prick the bottom of the pastry with a fork all around the puff pastry circle. Don’t over do it – just enough so that it may puff slightly.
- Add a piece of aluminum foil to the bottom and add dried beans or pie weights and then bake this in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the pastry is golden. Remove and let cool.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add sliced leeks to melted butter and also add about 2 tablespoons of water. Stir often and cook until leeks are soft.
- In a saucepan, heat the heavy cream over medium heat. Once the cream is boiling, reduce the heat to low and add the Brie cheese. Stir the cream and cheese together until the cheese is melted entirely. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Into the cheese mixture, beat in the eggs with a fork or a whisk.
- Assemble your tart for baking by sprinkling the bottom of the tart with parmesan cheese, add your ham or bacon or prosciutto, and top with the leeks. Pour the brie mixture over top and bake this for 20 minutes in a 400℉ or until the tart is golden brown.
This recipe was adapted from puffpastry.com