Feeling like you need a detox after the holidays? We don’t blame you! Cleanse your body with this nutrient-dense kale, tangerine, and carrot salad. Packed with fiber, vitamins, and a whole lot of flavor, you’ll want to munch on this salad all winter long!
1 Bunch kale
2 ripe tangerines
1 or 2 carrots (rainbow carrots will really make this salad colorful!)
1/2 cup Olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon (squeezed fresh)
1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey or maple syrup
Salt & pepper
1. Begin with making the dressing. The oil in the dressing will help break down the kale so it’s not only easier to eat, but the fat in the oil helps your body break down and digest all that roughage.
2. In a blender, combine 1/2 cup olive oil, the juice of 1 lemon, and about a tablespoon of the sweetener of your choice, plus a pinch of salt, and pepper to taste. No blender? Put these ingredients in a jar and shake ’em up!
3. Pour the dressing over the prepped kale. To strip kale of it’s stalk, hold the kale upside down from the end of the stem and pull the leaf down off the stem. You can also cut the leaf off the stem with a knife. Rip with your hands, or cut the kale into rough bite sized pieces and place in a bowl. Pour the dressing over the kale and massage it with the dressing. Set the bowl aside as the leaves continue to marinate.
4. Peel tangerines and cut into sections. Cut and scoop out some slices of avocado. We recommend slicing the avocado lengthwise after removing the pit so avocado easily comes out in slices. Slice or peel your carrots.
5. Assemble your sliced ingredients in the bowl with the marinated kale and toss. Enjoy!
What’s your favorite healthy winter recipe? Let us know in the comments!