One of the most beloved warm winter drinks is the Hot Toddy. The traditional hot toddy incorporates bourbon, lemon, cinnamon or star anise, and honey. Some say that the ingredients in the hot toddy can help soothe common cold symptoms. Lemon provides a slight boost of vitamin C and honey will coat a sore throat. Star anise, a Chinese herb that tastes like licorice, is known for its antifungal and antioxidant properties.
Don’t be afraid to adjust this drink to your personal tastes. If you prefer rum or brandy, those spirits will work too! Or, if you’re not a honey lover or are vegan, agave nectar also works as a sweetener.
Hot Toddy for the Win(ter)! Recipe
1 oz. Bourbon
Tablespoon of honey
Cinnamon stick or star anise (can also use a pin
- Boil a small amount of hot water.
- Pour the honey into your favorite mug.
- Add 1 oz. of Bourbon and the hot water into the mug with the honey.
- Add 1 cinnamon stick
- Squeeze a bit of lemon juice into the mug and add the slice of lemon on top.
- Let the drink stand for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the top with a pinch of nutmeg.
- Enjoy responsibly!