Thanksgiving is the best time to come together with family and friends to celebrate what we are thankful for. It’s also one of the best holidays for eating! Check out these fun facts about Thanksgiving below. Yum!
- The average American consumes an astonishing 4,500+ calories and 229 grams of fat at a typical Thanksgiving meal, according to the Calorie Control Council.
- If Ben Franklin had his way, the turkey would be our national bird. Franklin thought the bald eagle had “bad moral character.”
- The “First Thanksgiving” was celebrated in 1621 by the Pilgrims after the first autumn harvest in the New World.
- Seafood including lobster, mussels, and clams, was served at the first Thanksgiving feast, according to some culinary historians.
- According to a study from the Consumer Electronics Association, 37% of Americans will shop for deals on Black Friday, you know, that crazy day of shopping that occurs the day after Thanksgiving.
- It is estimated that 46 million turkeys are consumed by Americans on Thanksgiving.
- Americans eat approximately 50 million pumpkin pies on the Thanksgiving holiday
How many Thanksgiving Fun Facts did you know? Share your fun facts in the comments!