Did you know that August 3 is National Watermelon Day? High in fiber and Vitamin A and C, this summer favorite is not only good to eat but good for you. Here are a few recipes that put a twist on the traditional way to enjoy watermelon.
Watermelon Salsa (Serves 8)
- 2 cups finely chopped seeded watermelon (do not puree)
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained well
- 1 cup sweet onion, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco, or to taste
- Stir the watermelon, pineapple, and onion together with the cilantro, orange juice, and hot sauce in a bowl. Cover, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
Watermelon Pie (Serves 8)
- 1 (3 ounce) package watermelon flavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 cups watermelon
- 1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
- Mix together the watermelon gelatin and water. Fold gelatin mixture into the dessert topping. Add cut watermelon.
- Pour mixture into graham cracker crust. Cool in refrigerator for about 3 hours.