A New Year is upon us – here’s a few events that will have the world watching…..
The 2012 Summer Olympics Games, officially known as London 2012 Olympic Games, are scheduled to take place in London, England from July 27 – August 12, 2012. London will be the first city to host the modern Olympic Games three times, having previously hosted in 1908 and 1948.
Olympic Fun Facts:
- 204 estimated nations will be participating
- 10,500 estimated participants
- 302 events
- 26 sports
The United States Presidential Election of 2012 will be held on Tuesday, November 6, 2012. It will be the 57th presidential election, in which presidential electors, who will actually elect the President and the Vice President of the United States on December 17, 2012, will be chosen. Barack Obama, who is eligible for a second and final term as President, has announced that he will seek nomination again in this election.
Presidential Fun Facts:
- In 1898 President William McKinley signed a resolution annexing the Hawaiian Islands to the US.
- In 1915, Woodrow Wilson became the first President to attend the World Series, where he and his fiance, Edith Gault, made their first public appearance since announcing their engagement. The President insisted on paying for his own tickets.
- Before he became president, Barack Obama was a U.S. Senator. Prior, he was an Illinois State Senator, and before that he was a community organizer in Chicago.
- President John F. Kennedy won a Pulitzer Prize in 1957 for his collection of essays, “Profiles in Courage”.