The summertime calls for a seemingly endless number of barbeques, potlucks, and picnics. Instead of bringing the chips and salsa or a box of store bought cookies, try making this easy to prep Berry Tart with Graham Cracker Walnut Crust. This recipe is easy to make and requires very little baking. Though this pie can be topped with summer berries like raspberries or blueberries, the crust and filling will go great with almost any fruit you choose, just use whatever is in season!
Graham cracker crust (you can also use a store-bought crust)
1 ½ C graham cracker crumbs
½ C ground walnuts (pulse the walnuts in the food processor a few times until consistency is granular)
3 Tbsp sugar
6 Tbsp (¾ stick) unsalted butter, melted
3 C Walnuts that have soaked for 5 hours or more (overnight is preferred)
¾ C lemon juice
¾ C maple syrup
¾ C coconut oil
1 ½ tsp Salt
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
1 Tbsp vanilla extract – or 1 vanilla bean
- Preheat the oven to 325°
- Take walnuts and pulse in the food processor a few times until it is a similar consistency to the graham cracker crumbs.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, walnuts, butter, salt, and sugar in a bowl until all ingredients are incorporated and moistened.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto a 9-inch pie tin, pressing the mixture with your fingers or a rounded spatula to form the crust. Make sure to reinforce the sides where the crease is so that it doesn’t crack.
- Bake the crust for 8-10 minutes until golden brown and firm, setting aside when removed to cool.
- Drain the water from the walnuts and place in the food processor to blend.
- Then, add the lemon juice, maple syrup, and coconut oil and blend.
- Add salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg at the end and blend all together. The mixture should be smooth and thick.
- Gather the pie crust and pour the filling into the crust before setting in the freezer for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Top the tart with blueberries, raspberries, or any other berry. In the late summer, sliced peaches or plumcots make a great topping.
- Pop the pie back in the freezer until ready to serve.
What desserts will you be making this summer? Tell us your summertime culinary secrets in the comments!
Filling recipe adapted from Raw. Vegan. Not Gross.
Pie crust recipe adapted from fostersmarket.com.