Liven up your weeknight grilled chicken dinner with this recipe sweet and spicy mango salsa! The citrusy bite of the lime juice, the spiciness of the Serrano peppers, and the tender sweetness of the mangoes will pack a lot of flavor that complements almost any grilled protein of your choice. For this recipe, we chose chicken breasts with a simple steak seasoning marinade.
With many raw salads, you can easily play with the ingredients to fit your personal tastes. If you’re looking for more bite, try adding diced raw red onions or sliced radishes, which are also in season for May. Add an avocado to the salsa for a creamy consistency. Be sure to check out all of the TT Theme Weekends listings – there’s a ton of potluck events to bring this dish to, just make sure you try it yourself first because it’s sure to be a fan favorite! If you’ve tested some of your own combinations, tell us in the comments so we can try them too!
2 green onions
2-3 ripe mangos
1 avocado (optional)
1-2 Serrano peppers (depending upon how spicy you like it)
1 red or orange bell pepper
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup olive oil
2 roma tomatoes
Salt & pepper
3-4 chicken breasts
1 Tbsp. steak seasoning per breast
2 tablespoons olive oil (for marinating)
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time 35-40 minutes (depending upon grill and thickness of chicken)
- Put raw chicken breasts into a large plastic freezer bag.
- Pour in olive oil and steak seasoning (remember, 1 tablespoon per breast). To infuse chicken with marinade, close the plastic bag and massage the chicken breasts for about 30 seconds.
- Let chicken breasts marinate for about 30-45 minutes.
- While chicken is marinating, dice up mangos, Serrano peppers, tomatoes, and bell peppers. If you would like avocado in your salsa, include it at the end when you are ready to serve so that the avocado doesn’t brown or get too mushy.
- Put diced ingredients in a big bowl and pour about a tablespoon of high quality olive oil over it.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss all ingredients until well mixed.
- Back to the chicken – Grill the chicken until cooked through, remembering to flip breasts over at least once about halfway through cooking.
- Serve chicken with a heaping portion of salsa on top and enjoy!